With a family wedding looming on the horizon, a client in Alabama called us to help her refresh her home interior, and since I have been talking a lot about this topic on the blog, I wanted to give you an example of how you can put our recent blog advice into practice. Check out one of our transformations below- now our client and her family can actually get their laundry done!
- To begin, we surveyed each room in our clients’ home that needed attention in order to give it both an immediate plan and long term plan. In this state, ask- what is frustrating you about this room? What is your ideal set up? This provides an opportunity to reimagine ways in which to rework the space and create a plan to make it better.
- Second, we made a list of items to shop for. Need a new storage container? A lamp for the dark corner? Make an actual list with a pen and paper. Although you can make a list electronically on your phone- I recommend keeping a paper list in hand. It provides you with a visible object that keeps you on task while preventing you from over purchasing.
- Third, we reworked each room by taking everything down and dividing items into 3 piles- Goodwill, storage, and sort. We recommend that you sort immediately, but if you are on a tight deadline it is ok to sort at a later time.
- Fourth, we cleaned up. Wipe away years of neglect by cleaning every nook and cranny in the room.
- And finally, we hit the stores to buy brighter pillows and throws, change lamp shades, and purchase new mirrors and lamps. You would be surprised what these small purchases can do to make a big difference. For this job, we also used some fantastic finds from a local consignment store and rearranged decorative pieces and containers our client already had. These, intertwined with new purchased pieces, achieved an incredible new look, so don't overlook what you have!
- We do not believe in buying everything new or expensive. Expensive does not always equate to style or quality, and often times, you don’t need anything new. Sometimes you just need to bring some items out of storage or rearrange. In general, we shop everywhere, and reuse whenever possible- it's more budget friendly and sustainable.
The outcome? It felt and looked like a different house, but it looked beautiful because we simplified and decluttered. Often that’s all it takes.
Does this sound like something you need help with? For many of us, it’s not that we do not want to refresh our homes- we just don’t know where to start. Take a step forward and give us a call! We will help you to reorganize and refresh your house so that you can reclaim it as home.
Check out more transformations below!